Oct 18, 2007

simple like it was

I was 18 and walking down 3rd street at 2AM singing at the top of my lungs, with no one around to hear me. I sang like I knew what I was talking about. It was utterly simple.

Oh God you are my God,
and I will ever praise you.
I will seek in the morning
and follow you all of my days
and step by step you lead me
and I will follow you all of my days.

Later that year I learned that I, in fact, did not know what I was talking about. So I tore down the structure that I had built, and I started over.

The thing that I rebuilt took a long time to construct, but it just got too big.

So I'm in the middle of tearing it down again. This time, the teardown isn't simple. I have built such a complicated web of systems and theories and dogmas and . . . crap, that it may take a full scale wrecking crew to tear it down. It is coming down though. Simplicity is on the horizon. I can see it. Tonight I even heard it for a minute, in my own house. With the door closed and no one to hear, I almost felt like I knew what I was talking about.

1 comment:

Agent B said...

Weird. I was working a house fix-up job today where my partner brought some Rich Mullins CD with this song.

Not my favorite painting music, but it brought back memories.

Memories of the days when I thought I had everything figured out or all seemed simple and fit in to some little box...